Environmentalists Against War
Home | Say NO! To War | Action! | Information | Media Center | Who We Are

 

 

US Drone Kills Two Unnamed "Suspects" in Yemen


June 18, 2017
Mohammed Mukhasaf / Reuters & Jason Ditz / AntiWar.com

A suspected US drone strike killed two men believed to be al Qaeda militants in southern Yemen residents and local sources said. The strike took place in the al Naqba area of Shabwa province where residents heard a loud explosion that completely destroyed a vehicle carrying armed people. Residents from the area say they are unsure who the two slain people were. As is always the case, however, the two slain men were described as "suspects" in reports on the attack

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2017-06-17/two-suspected-al-qaeda-militants-killed-in-yemen-drone-strike

Two Suspected Al Qaeda Militants
Killed in Yemen Drone Strike

Mohammed Mukhasaf / Reuters

ADEN (June 17, 2017) -- A suspected US drone strike killed two men believed to be al Qaeda militants in southern Yemen late on Friday, residents and local sources said.

The strike took place in the al Naqba area of Shabwa province where residents heard a loud explosion that they say completely destroyed a vehicle carrying armed people.

Shabwa is one of several provinces in Yemen where al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) is active.

Yemen-based AQAP has exploited a more than two-year-old civil war between the Iran-aligned Houthis and President Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi's Saudi-backed government to enhance its influence in the impoverished country.

The United States has repeatedly attacked AQAP with aircraft and unmanned drones in what US officials say is a campaign to wear down the group's ability to coordinate attacks abroad.



US Drone Strike Kills Two Suspects in Southern Yemen
Jason Ditz / AntiWar.com

(June 18, 2017) -- Late Friday night, a US drone attacked and destroyed a vehicle in the Shabwa Province of southern Yemen, killing two unidentified people within. Residents from the area say they are unsure who the two slain people were.

As is always the case, however, the two slain men were described as "suspects" in reports on the attack, with some suggestion that they might conceivably be members of al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), speculation built primarily on AQAP being present in the province and the US having destroyed the vehicle.

This is the latest in an increasing number of US drone strikes that have been carried out in Yemen since President Trump took office. The US had been slowing its use of drones in areas where they weren't directly militarily involved near the end of Obama's last term.

The growing number of US strikes are bringing attention back to the US drone war, and the extreme lack of transparency the US has offered on drone strikes which are reported to have killed people, with the vast majority of such incidents never publicly commented on at all, and most of the slain left forever in the vague category of "suspects."

Posted in accordance with Title 17, Section 107, US Code, for noncommercial, educational purposes.

back

 

 

Stay Connected
Sign up to receive our weekly updates. We promise not to sell, trade or give away your email address.
Email Address:
Full Name:
 

 

Search Environmentalists Against War website

 

Home | Say NO! To War | Action! | Information | Media Center | Who We Are