ACTON ALERT: Tell Congress to Expedite Renewable Energy
August 6, 2012
EcoWatch et al.
This petition calls on Congress to expedite renewable energy. We can transition to a cleaner, renewable energy future, but Congress needs to pass the legislation to get us there. This petition unites the voices of Americans who demand our leaders take seriously the energy and climate crisis and immediately work to implement the policies to move our country toward a sustainable future.
(August 4, 2012) -- Sign this petition to tell Congress to expedite renewable energy. We can transition to a cleaner, renewable energy future, but Congress needs to pass the legislation to get us there.
Signing this petition sends an email to U.S. Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D-NM), chair of the Senate Committee on Energy & Natural Resources, U.S. Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA) and the House Energy & Commerce Committee.
This petition unites the voices of Americans who demand our leaders take seriously the energy and climate crisis and immediately work to implement the policies to move our country toward a sustainable future.
I WANT CONGRESS TO PASS A RENEWABLE ENERGY POLICY THAT:
• Mandates an aggressive RES (renewable electricity standard)
• Sets a limit and tax on greenhouse gas emissions, including carbon dioxide (CO2) and methane (CH4)
• Puts an end to subsidies for fossil fuels and nuclear power
• Provides incentives for renewable energy and energy efficiency projects
• Modernizes the electrical grid
• Provides market certainty to accelerate investment in renewable energy
• Invests in research and development for battery storage and renewable energy technologies
• Encourages distributed generation to help localize energy generation
• Defines renewable as non-combustion sources of energy
• Puts Americans back to work by creating green jobs and a sustainable economy
• Makes the U.S. a leader in fighting climate change and global warming
• Puts the health of people and the planet before corporate profits
Endorsing Organizations: Environmentalists Against War, 350.org, Climate Crisis Solutions, Coal River Mountain Watch, DeSmogBlog, Environmental Advocates of New York, Heartwood, Hudson River Sloop Clearwater, Indian Point Safe Energy Coalition, Nuclear Information and Resource Service, Riverkeeper, Coalition Against Nukes, Rock The Reactors, Safe Energy Association, Sullivan Area Citizens for Responsible Energy, The Story of Stuff Project, Truthout, Waterkeeper Alliance.
Endorsing Companies: Sun Veil Solar
If your organization or company is interested in endorsing this petition, email Stefanie at spear (at) ecowatch.org.
This petition is the start of a campaign to address the need for a federal renewable energy policy. This petition can help serve as a basis for bipartisan legislation that members of Congress can introduce in their committees and ultimately on the House and Senate floor.