Environmentalists Against War
Home | Say NO! To War | Action! | Information | Media Center | Who We Are

 

 

Iraq's US-armed and Trained Air Force 'Massacres Innocent Civilians'


December 9, 2016
Jason Ditz / AntiWar.com & Ahmed Rasheed / Reuters

On December 7, Iraqi warplanes attacked a crowded marketplace in the town of al-Qaim, killing at least 55 civilians along with eight ISIS militants, according to sources at the local hospital. Qaim is the last town in Anbar Province that remains under ISIS control. The hospital reported that there were three airstrikes against the market, and that the 55 civilians slain included at least 12 women and 19 children. Officials at the hospital, along with local MPs, described the attack as a "massacre against innocent civilians."

http://news.antiwar.com/2016/12/07/iraqi-warplanes-bomb-al-qaim-market-killing-55-civilians/

Russia TV Carries Report on Deadly Iraq Strike of Civilian Market
Warning: Graphic images



(December 7, 2016) -- In "Iraq" as a result of air strikes on the market in the town of Al-Qaim killed dozens of civilians as a result of air strikes the Western coalition led by the US and the Iraqi army, which had been applied for the last day in Iraq and Syria.

Fifteen people were killed in a raid on a suburb of the Syrian Raqqa. It is reported by TV "Al Jazeera". Also, the US command itself acknowledged the raid on the hospital in Iraq's Mosul. In his defense, the US military said that in the building, according to their data, there were militants. Like it or not, and how many people died as a result, it is still not clear.

Besides, now versed in the circumstances of the impact on the market in the town of Al-Qaim. This is also Iraq. He killed at least 70 people, local authorities and all talk about a hundred dead. Among them many women and children.



Iraqi Warplanes Bomb al-Qaim Market, Killing 55 Civilians
Jason Ditz / AntiWar.com

(December 7, 2016) -- Iraqi warplanes have attacked a crowded marketplace in the town of al-Qaim today, killing at least 55 civilians along with eight ISIS militants, according to sources at the local hospital. Qaim is the last town in Anbar Province that remains under ISIS control.

The hospital reported that there were three airstrikes against the market, and that the 55 civilians slain included at least 12 women and 19 children. Officials at the hospital, along with local MPs, described the attack as a "massacre against innocent civilians."

Anbar Province MP Mohammed Karbouli said the civilian toll might be in excess of 60 when all is said and done, confirming that some of his relatives were among the slain. He demanded an immediate investigation by the prime minister and to hold accountable those responsible.

Karbouli complained that intelligence on Qaim was clearly not good if they attacked a marketplace that crowded, and insisted that killing a handful of terrorists at the cost of scores of civilians could not be justified.


Dozens Killed in West Iraq Air Strike, MPs and Medics Say
Ahmed Rasheed / Reuters

(December 7, 2016) -- Air strikes killed dozens of people, including many women and children, in an Islamic State-held town near Iraq's western border with Syria on Wednesday, two parliamentarians and local hospital sources said.

They said the air strikes hit a busy market in the town of Qaim, in Iraq's Anbar province, describing the incident as a massacre. The hospital sources said 55 civilians were killed, including 12 women and 19 children, in three air strikes.

The bodies of eight militants were delivered to Qaim hospital morgue, the hospital sources said.

Anbar lawmaker Ahmed al-Salmani also said 55 civilians were killed. Another lawmaker, Mohammed Karbouli, told Reuters that 60 people had been killed, including some of his relatives.

An official in Anbar, who asked not to be identified, said he could not go into detail while the incident was being investigated, but said that it could not be justified. "Killing dozens of civilians only to target a handful of terrorists is clearly a massacre against innocent civilians," he said.

Karbouli said it raised questions about the accuracy of intelligence used to target Islamic State fighters, and Salmani said Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi must act.

"(I) demand him to stop the bombing and hold accountable the perpetrators of this massacre," he said.

Officials in Baghdad did not immediately comment on the reports, but Islamic State's news agency Amaq released footage showing what it said was the aftermath of the strikes it blamed on Iraq's air force.

It showed burning vehicles on a wide main road lined by shops. Corpses, some charred and others bloodied, could be seen on the street, and the bodies of several children were also shown. Several buildings had been wrecked.

The attack took place as Iraqi forces are waging a seven- week campaign to crush Islamic State in the city of Mosul, about 280 km (175 miles) northeast of Qaim.

The army's elite counter terrorism units have advanced into eastern Mosul, but have met fierce resistance from Islamic State fighters dug in across the city.

The militants, who have controlled Mosul since they took it over in mid-2014, have hit the advancing soldiers with suicide car bombs, mortar barrages, sniper attacks and ambushes launched through a network of tunnels under residential areas.

Defeat for the militants in northern Iraq's largest city would mark a major setback for Islamic State's self-declared caliphate in Iraq and Syria, but the militants still control territory in western Iraq near the Syrian border.

Posted in accordance with Title 17, Section 107, US Code, for noncommercial, educational purposes.

back

 

 

Stay Connected
Sign up to receive our weekly updates. We promise not to sell, trade or give away your email address.
Email Address:
Full Name:
 

 

Search Environmentalists Against War website

 

Home | Say NO! To War | Action! | Information | Media Center | Who We Are