by Focus on the Global South –
The US-lead invasion and occupation of Iraq is illegal
In 1946, the Nuremberg Tribunal judged that “To initiate a war of aggression is not only an international crime; it is the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole.”
Consequently, We Demand:
• An immediate end to the illegal occupation of Iraq by the United States and the United Kingdom and the immediate withdrawal and removal of all foreign troops, military advisers and representatives, military equipment and armaments.
We Insist That:
• The Iraqi people have absolute and sovereign right to determine their own future and any decision about the need for international assistance rests solely with the Iraqis.
• The United States’ and United Kingdom’s occupation of Iraq is illegal, as is
any administrative authority or interim government established by the occupying forces. Therefore, any decisions made by the occupying forces or their representatives are not binding on the Iraqi people.
• The UN-held escrow Iraqi oil account must not be used to foot the bill for reconstruction of the damage caused by the illegal war and UN sanctions. The funds must be held in trust for the Iraqi people until there is a legitimate and genuinely representative government elected by the people.
• The United Nations and its agencies, other governments and non- governmental organizations should not serve as a cover to legitimize, or profit from, the illegal invasion and occupation of Iraq. Humanitarian aid must not b e used to support or promote the military, political and economic objectives of the occupying forces.
• The UN, other governments and NGOs should not use their own resources or public money to fund humanitarian assistance, aid, reconstruction or other development activities which are the legal and moral responsibility of the invading and occupying forces, nor should they characterize as “aid” that which is the entitlement the of the Iraqi people
• The Iraqi people have sovereignty over all natural resources and utilities. The invading and occupying forces or their private sector proxies have no right to make any decisions about who controls or benefits from the exploitation of natural resources or the construction and delivery of basic services and utilities. The full costs of all reconstruction, compensation and reparations for the physical, social, economic, psychological, ecological, cultural and heritage destruction caused by the US-lead invasion of Iraq must be borne by the aggressors.
• Reparations for the physical, social, economic, psychological, ecological, cultural and heritage loss, damage and suffering caused by the UN Security Council mandated sanctions must be borne by the Permanent Members of the UN Security Council.
• In addition, reparations must be paid to all persons who have suffered physical, economic and psychological loss and trauma resulting from twelve years of sanctions and the 2003 invasion based on individual and collective claims and dispensed by an independent compensation tribunal.
We Call For:
• A Peoples War Tribunal based on the Geneva Conventions and Nuremberg Tribunal principles and precedents to investigate and prosecute the war crimes of, amongst others, George W. Bush, Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney, Paul Wolfowitz, Condoleeza Rice, Colin Powell, Tommy Franks, Tony Blair, Jack Straw, and John Howard.
• International sanctions on the aggressor nations for their illegal, preemptive attack on a sovereign nation.
• The United States Government to desist from threats of force and use of force against all sovereign nations.
To endorse the demands, go to: http://www.focusweb.org/demands/demands.html
Focus on the Global South (FOCUS) c/o CUSRI, Chulalongkorn University Bangkok 10330 THAILAND, Tel: 662 218 7363/7364/7365/7383, Fax: 662 255 9976, N.Bullard@focusweb.org, Web: http://www.focusweb.org