by Admiral Thomas Moorer (USN. Ret. –
(January 16, 2003) PMWatch — Stars and Stripes, the official newspaper of the US armed forces, published today an unprecedented op-ed from Adm. Thomas Moorer, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff from 1970 to 1974 and former 7th Fleet commander, which alleges not merely timidity by the US government in seeking the truth about what happened to the USS Liberty when it was attacked by Israeli airforce jets, but accuses the US government of outright cover-up and deception.
A Fair Probe would Expose USS Liberty Misinformation
Admiral Thomas Moorer (USN. Ret.) / Stars and Stripes
While State Department officials and historians converge on Washington this week to discuss the 1967 war in the Middle East, I am compelled to speak out about one of US history’s most shocking cover-ups.
On June 8, 1967, Israel attacked our proud naval ship — the USS Liberty — killing 34 American servicemen and wounding 172. Those men were then betrayed and left to die by our own government.
US military rescue aircraft were recalled — not once, but twice — through direct intervention by the Johnson administration. Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara’s cancellation of the Navy’s attempt to rescue the Liberty, which I confirmed from the commanders of the aircraft carriers America and Saratoga, was the most disgraceful act I witnessed in my entire military career.
To add insult to injury, Congress, to this day, has failed to hold formal hearings on Israel’s attack on this American ship. No official investigation of the attack has ever permitted the testimony of the surviving crewmembers.
Lead Attorney Now Claims White House Ordered a Coverup
A 1967 investigation by the Navy, upon which all other reports are based, has now been fully discredited as a cover-up by its senior attorney. Capt. Ward Boston, in a sworn affidavit, recently revealed that the court was ordered by the White House to cover up the incident and find that Israel’s attack was “a case of mistaken identity.”
Some distinguished colleagues and I formed an independent commission to
investigate the attack on the USS Liberty. After an exhaustive review of previous reports, naval and other military records, including eyewitness testimony from survivors, we recently presented our findings on Capitol Hill. They include:
• Israeli reconnaissance aircraft closely studied the Liberty during an eight-hour period prior to the attack, one flying within 200 feet of the ship. Weather reports confirm the day was clear with unlimited visibility. The Liberty was a clearly marked American ship in international waters, flying an American flag and carrying large U.S. Navy hull letters and numbers on its bow.
• Despite claims by Israeli intelligence that they confused the Liberty with a small Egyptian transport, the Liberty was conspicuously different from any vessel in the Egyptian navy.
It was the most sophisticated intelligence ship in the world in 1967. With its massive radio antennae, including a large satellite dish, it looked like a large lobster and was one of the most easily identifiable ships afloat.
• Israel attempted to prevent the Liberty’s radio operators from sending a call for help by jamming American emergency radio channels.
• Israeli torpedo boats machine-gunned lifeboats at close range that had been lowered to rescue the most-seriously wounded. As a result, our commission concluded that:
• There is compelling evidence that Israel’s attack was a deliberate attempt to destroy an American ship and kill her entire crew.
• In attacking the USS Liberty, Israel committed acts of murder against US servicemen and an act of war against the United States.
• The White House knowingly covered up the facts of this attack from the American people.
•The truth continues to be concealed to the present day in what can only be termed a national disgrace.
What was Israel’s motive in launching this attack? Congress must address this question with full cooperation from the National Security Agency, the CIA and the military intelligence services.
The men of the USS Liberty represented the United States. They were attacked for two hours, causing 70 percent American casualties and the eventual loss of our best intelligence ship.
These sailors and Marines were entitled to our best defense. We gave them no defense. Did our government put Israel’s interests ahead of our own? If so, why? Does our government continue to subordinate American interests to Israeli interests? These are important questions that should be investigated by an independent, fully empowered commission of the American government.
The American people deserve to know the truth about this attack. We must finally shed some light on one of the blackest pages in American naval history. It is a duty we owe not only to the brave men of the USS Liberty, but to every man and woman who is asked to wear the uniform of the United States.
Adm. Thomas Moorer was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff from 1970 to 1974 and once was 7th Fleet commander. He is joined in the Independent Commission of Inquiry by Rear Adm. Merlin Staring, former judge advocate general of the Navy; and Ambassador James Akins, former US ambassador to Saudi Arabia.
Gen. Ray Davis, former assistant commandant of the Marine Corps, was a member of the commission at the time of his death in September. For complete findings and the sworn affidavit of Capt. Ward Boston, go to www.ussliberty.org
Ask the Media to Investigate this Story
The US media, taking its cues from the US government, has been very timid in tackling this dark episode. But now that the Stars and Stripes has run this powerful op-ed, clearly at least the US military has lifted the taboo status off this tragedy. Please take time to alert the media that it is ok for them to start talking about and investigating this episode.
1. Write a letter: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 202-761-0900 Use the PMWATCH interface:
• Circulate this op-ed and push your local paper to run this it and to pursue stories on the 1967 attack against the USS Liberty. Media contact information can be found at:
• For more, please go to:Stars and Stripes
• Palestine Media Watch www.pmwatch.org
The Stars and Stripes does not publish its op-eds on-line, but a pdf of
the op-ed can be fount at: