Reuters Reporters Tortured by US Troops

May 21st, 2004 - by admin

Editor & Publisher – 2004-05-21 08:47:11 _id=1000513625

US Troops Abused, Tortured Reuters Reporters

IRAQ (May 18, 2004) — Fresh allegations have emerged in Iraq regarding the alleged mistreatment of Iraqi detainees by US troops. The Reuters news agency says three of its local staff were subjected to sexually degrading treatment after being detained in January.

The allegations come on the eve of the court martial of the first American soldier charged in connection with abusing prisoners at a Baghdad jail. Specialist Jeremy Sivits is likely to plead guilty, US media report.

Reuters said it was unveiling the ordeal of its employees because the US military had concluded there was no evidence they had been abused — and in the wake of the scandal involving the mistreatment of detainees at Abu Ghraib prison.

The Reuters employees were allegedly abused at two US military bases, after being detained for covering the shooting down of a US helicopter near the flashpoint city of Falluja.

Baghdad-based cameraman Salem Ureibi, Falluja-based freelance TV journalist Ahmad Mohammad Hussein al-Badrani and driver Sattar Jabar al-Badrani were held for three days before being released without charge. They said they were forced to make demeaning gestures as soldiers laughed, taunted them and took photographs.

Among other things, they were allegedly deprived of sleep, had bags placed over their heads, were kicked and hit and forced to remain in stress positions for long periods. “When I saw the Abu Ghraib photographs, I wept,” Mr Ureibi said on Tuesday. “I saw they had suffered like we had.” He said soldiers told him they wanted to have sex with him, and he was afraid he would be raped.

The detainees said they were never questioned during their time in detention and officials threatened to move them to the US detention center at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba. In its report, the US military said there was no evidence the Reuters staff had been tortured or abused.

Report Details US Abuse of Reporters in Iraq
Editor & Publisher

(May 20, 2004) — Editor &Publisher today obtained from Reuters a report submitted to the company’s senior editors in mid-January, less than two weeks after the journalists were detained, by Bureau Chief Andrew Marshall, who had interviewed the three staffers separately. . .

Marshall observed in his report, “It should be noted that the bulk of their mistreatment — including their humiliating interrogations and the mental and physical torment of the first night which all agreed was the worst part of their ordeal — occurred several hours AFTER I had informed the 82nd Airborne Division that they were Reuters staff. I have e-mail proof of this.”

Here are excerpts from Marshall’s report:
US Torture of Reuters Reporters

When the soldiers approached them they were standing by their car, a blue Opel. Salem Uraiby shouted, ‘Reuters, Reuters! Journalist, journalist!’ At least one shot was fired into the ground close to them. “They were thrown to the ground and soldiers placed guns to their heads.

Their car was searched. Soldiers found their camera equipment and press badges and discovered no weapons of any kind. Their hands were cuffed behind their backs and they were thrown roughly into a Humvee where they lay on the floor. …

After half an hour to an hour they were transferred to a larger armored vehicle. Ahmad and Sattar (along with NBC stringer Ali who I have yet to formally interview) were thrown on the floor under the seats. …

Once they arrived at the US base… they were kept in a holding area with around 40 other prisoners in a large room with several open windows. It was bitterly cold. They were given one blanket between two. All were interrogated separately at different times and the worst treatment they suffered was on the first night when for several hours (they believe it was from around midnight until dawn) all of them were put in a room together and subjected to hours of abuse.

Bags were alternately placed on their heads and taken off again. Deafening music was played on loudspeakers directly into their ears and they were told to dance around the room. Sometimes when they were doing this, soldiers would shine very bright torches [flashlights] directly into their eyes and hit them with the torches. They were told to lie on the floor and wiggle their backsides in the air to the music. They were told to do repeated press ups and to repeatedly stand up from a crouching position and then return to the crouching position.

Sexual Threats, Abuse and Physical Degredation
Soldiers would move between them, whispering things in their ear. Ahmad and Sattar did not understand what was whispered. Salem says they whispered that they wanted to have sex with him and were saying “come on, just for two minutes.” They also said he should bring his wife so they could have sex with her. … Soldiers would whisper in their ears ‘One, two, three…’ and then shout something loudly right beside their ear. All of this went on all night. . . Ahmad said he collapsed by morning. Sattar said he collapsed after Ahmad and began vomiting. …

When they were taken individually for interrogation, they were interrogated by two American soldiers and an Arab interpreter. All three shouted abuse at them. They were accused of shooting down the helicopter. Salem, Ahmad and Sattar all reported that for their first interrogation they were told to kneel on the floor with their feet raised off the floor and with their hands raised in the air.

If they let their feet or hands drop they were slapped and shouted at. Ahmad said he was forced to insert a finger into his anus and lick it. He was also forced to lick and chew a shoe. For some of the interrogation tissue paper was placed in his mouth and he had difficulty breathing and speaking. Sattar too said he was forced to insert a finger into his anus and lick it. He was then told to insert this finger in his nose during questioning, still kneeling with his feet off the ground and his other arm in the air. The Arab interpreter told him he looked like an elephant. …

“Ahmad and Sattar both said that they were given badges with the letter ‘C’ on it. They did not know what the badges meant but whenever they were being taken from one place to another in the base, if any soldier saw their badge they would stop to slap them or hurl abuse.

The four were moved about half way through their detention to another camp. Because they had totally lost track of time by this stage all are hazy about exactly when this was. But according to an e-mail I received on the morning of Sunday, January 4, from Captain Ryan Derouin, my point of contact at FOB Volturno who I had met in person there the day before, they were transferred at around 0900 local time on January 4 to the 3rd Brigade Detention Facility at St Mere, next to the Volturno base, for ‘further processing.’

When they were leaving the first base, soldiers were laughing and saying “Cuba, Cuba.” Ahmad and Sattar say that they were initially cuffed and had bags placed over their heads and made to lie on the ground with barbed wire all around them. They were told that if they raised their heads or touched the barbed wire it would be very dangerous for them.

Ahmad and Sattar say that when they were finally taken into the second base, they were treated better. They were given adequate bedding and their interrogation sessions were less intense. Ahmad says at one point he was allowed to rest in a warm and comfortable tent.”