Two new films explore issues of war and peace. – 2004-09-24 23:15:07
VOICES OF DISSENT: ACTIVISM & AMERICAN DEMOCRACY
is a new 42-minute documentary about defending our American heritage of civil liberties against the current administration’s attempts to repress authentic democracy and our freedom to dissent.
Using events, theatre, song, dance, music, satire, spoken word performance, interviews with many well-known personalities and the
wisdom of our founding fathers, VOICES reminds us of our roots and the importance of protecting authentic democracy. It challenges anyone who would limit the freedoms granted in the Constitution and
Bill of Rights as fundamentally un-American, even if they are our own leaders. It inspires viewers to speak out, vote and actively protect our heritage of democracy, before we lose it.
Those concerned about protecting real democracy and who feel frustrated about the damage being done by the Bush administration can use VOICES OF DISSENT to educate friends, colleagues and family before the November election. This program is intended to stimulate
discussion on the issues and to motivate concerned citizens to get energized, get motivated, get involved and make a difference!
• How the Patriot Act conflicts with vital provisions of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights
• A wide variety of forms and expressions of political activism and dissent, from theatrical performances and massive group actions, to sole personal acts of dissent
• Protest marches, in big cities and small towns, showing the diversity of Americans opposed to repressive and militaristic
• Police brutality actions against peaceful anti-war demonstrators and the resulting injuries and subsequent public hearing into the police violence
• Memorable quotes from past presidents and other widely respected public figures about the nature of dissent and freedom in a true democracy
• An historic perspective that points to key dissent actions in history, such as the Civil Rights Movement and 1963 March on
Washington, Women’s Movement, and Labor Movement
• The amazing creativity of protesters and dissenters at anti-war rallies and other actions, as they express their heartfelt opposition to Bush policies in a wide range of ways.
• The broad range of citizens outraged by Bush’s assault on our freedoms — from progressives, Democrats and Greens to Republicans, conservatives, diplomats and military leaders
VOICES includes scenes with:
• AL FRANKEN, actor/comedian and Air America Radio talk show host. Author of “Lies and The Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right”
• MARTIN SHEEN, actor and peace activist
• WOODY HARRELSON, actor and peace activist
• RON KOVIC, peace activist and author of “Born On the 4th of July”
• BARBARA LEE, U.S. Congresswoman – 9th District, Oakland, California
• LIZ FIGUEROA, California Senator
• JIM HIGHTOWER, former Texas Agriculture Commissioner and author of “Thieves In High Places: They’ve Stolen Our Country and It’s Time To Take It Back”
• ARIANNA HUFFINGTON, columnist, political commentator and author of
“Fanatics & Fools: The Game Plan For Winning Back America”
• WILL DURST, BILL SANTIAGO, RENE HICKS, comedians and political satirists
• KEVIN PHILLIPS,author of “American Dynasty: Aristocracy, Fortune and the Politics Of Deceit In the House of Bush”
• JOAN BLADES, Co-founder of MoveOn.org
• MEDEA BENJAMIN, Co-creator of Code Pink/Women for Peace and Global Exchange
• DANIEL ELLSBERG, author of “Secrets: A Memoir Of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers”
• NORMAN SOLOMON, Executive Director of the Institute for Public Accuracy. Co-author of “Target Iraq: What the News Media Didn’t
• PAUL KRUGMAN, New York Times columnist and author of “The Great Unraveling: Losing Our Way in the New Century”
• STARHAWK, author and activist
• KEVIN SHELLEY, California Secretary of State and voting rights activist
• WARREN LANGLEY, past president of the Pacific Stock Exchange and anti-war activist
• HENRY NORR, technology writer fired by the SF Chronicle for attending a peace rally
• MICHAEL FRANTI, musician, anti-war activist
• DREW DELLINGER, Spoken Word artist
• HALLIEE MONTOYA TANSEY, activist, The Leaue of Pissed-Off Voters
• ANNALISE BLUM, youth voting rights activist
• SUSIE TOMPKINS-BUELL, Founder of Esprit de Corp and voting activist
• JOSEPH WILSON, ambassador, husband of outed CIA agent Valerie Plame
• KATHRYN BLUME, actor & writer of The Accidental Activist
• JIM BRONKE, former weapons engineer and peace activist
FESTIVAL SCREENINGS to date:
• Dallas Video Festival
• Take Back Democracy Film Festival
• Bernal Heights Outdoor Cine Festival
To Order VHS or DVD copies of VOICES OF DISSENT: ACTIVISM & AMERICAN DEMOCRACY, are available for $19.95 plus $3.75 for postage and handling. California residents, please add $1.70 state sales tax.
Personal checks or Visa/MC. Please include your full credit card info including expiration date. Send to:
Karil Daniels, Point of View Productions, 2477 Folsom St., San Francisco, CA 94110.
You can also order by calling 415-821-0435 or email email@example.com.
Please include your full street address, phone number and email address. Remember to specify VHS or DVD.
“Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” — Thomas Jefferson
“LIES, TERRORISM &COVER-UPS”
The Clarion Alliance, a non-profit group in Iowa, has prepared a video, “Lies, Terrorism, Government Cover-Ups: Who Can Give Us Hope?” The video is being offered to the faith community and peace and justice advocates to use to build deeper discussion about US foreign policy and its relationship to the roots of terrorism.
Responses from those who have seen this video include these words of praise from The Rev. Russell Melby, Evangelical Lutheran Church of America:
“The video… is a powerful example of who is most harmed by war: children, old men, and women. We see close up the tragedy of war and its effect on our neighbors both near and far. We experience the face of anguish and the incredible pain that is associated with war.
We must speak out against all forms of warfare and let our candidates for the office of president know that our answer to war is ‘never again.’ Excellent, powerful and needs to be viewed by a variety of people.”
This video is available for $10. To order the video, please contact Clarion Alliance, Burt Kisling, treasurer, 515-276-7293 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Order WAR IS NOT THE ANSWER bumper stickers and yard signs!
• To order “WAR IS NOT THE ANSWER” bumper stickers free of charge, go to the Bumper Sticker web order form: (https://dnbweb1.blackbaud.com/OPXREPHIL/Link.asp?link=25446) or Call 800-630-1330, ext. 142. Leave a message with mailing information and number of stickers requested.
• To order “WAR IS NOT THE ANSWER” yard signs go to the Yard Sign web order form: (https://dnbweb1.blackbaud.com/OPXREPHIL/Link.asp?link=25447) or Call 800-630-1330, ext. 142. Leave a message with contact information.
We appreciate contributions for bulk orders of bumper stickers. The suggested donation for peace signs is $5 each. Contributions sustain our Quaker witness in Washington.
For more information please contact:
Friends Committee on National Legislation, 245 Second St. NE, Washington, DC 20002-5795, (202) 547-6000, Fax: (202) 547-6019, Toll Free: (800) 630-1330