Australian Broadcasting Corp. & The Telegraph (London) – 2005-08-02 00:11:54
Leaked Emails Claim Guantanamo Trials Rigged
Leigh Sales / Australian Broadcasting Corporation
(August 1, 2005) — Leaked emails from two former prosecutors claim the military commissions set up to try detainees at Guantanamo Bay are rigged, fraudulent, and thin on evidence against the accused.
Two emails, which have been obtained by the ABC, were sent to supervisors in the Office of Military Commissions in March of last year — three months before Australian detainee David Hicks was charged and five months before his trial began.
The first email is from prosecutor Major Robert Preston to his supervisor. Maj Preston writes that the process is perpetrating a fraud on the American people, and that the cases being pursued are marginal.
“I consider the insistence on pressing ahead with cases that would be marginal even if properly prepared to be a severe threat to the reputation of the military justice system and even a fraud on the American people,” Maj Preston wrote.
“Surely they don’t expect that this fairly half-arsed effort is all that we have been able to put together after all this time.” Maj Preston says he cannot continue to work on a process he considers morally, ethically and professionally intolerable. “I lie awake worrying about this every night,” he wrote. “I find it almost impossible to focus on my part of mission.
“After all, writing a motion saying that the process will be full and fair when you don’t really believe it is kind of hard, particularly when you want to call yourself an officer and lawyer.” Maj Preston was transferred out of the Office of Military Commissions less than a month later.
The second email is written by another prosecutor, Captain John Carr, who also ended up leaving the department. Capt Carr says the commissions appear to be rigged.
“When I volunteered to assist with this process and was assigned to this office, I expected there would at least be a minimal effort to establish a fair process and diligently prepare cases against significant accused,” he wrote. “Instead, I find a half-hearted and disorganised effort by a skeleton group of relatively inexperienced attorneys to prosecute fairly low-level accused in a process that appears to be rigged.”
Capt Carr says that the prosecutors have been told by the chief prosecutor that the panel sitting in judgment on the cases would be handpicked to ensure convictions.
“You have repeatedly said to the office that the military panel will be handpicked and will not acquit these detainees and that we only needed to worry about building a record for the review panel,” he said.
Significant find David Hicks’ defence lawyer, Major Michael Mori, says the documents are “highly significant”.
“For the first time, we’re seeing that concerns about the fairness of the military commissions extend to the heart of the process,” Maj Mori said. David Hicks’s father, Terry, says the latest revelations confirm what he has suspected all along. “These commissions weren’t set up to release people,” he said. “These commissions were set up to make sure they were prosecuted and get the time that they give them, and the other thing we’ve said all along, that we believe that this system has been rigged as they call it.”
But the Pentagon’s Brigadier General Thomas Hemingway, who is a legal advisor to the military commissions, says an investigation has found the comments are based on miscommunication, misunderstanding and personality conflicts.
He says changes have been made in the prosecutors’ office. “I think what we did is work on some restructuring in the office, there was some changes in the way cases were processed, but we found no evidence of any criminal misconduct, we found no evidence of any ethical violations,” he said.
Brig Gen Hemingway says he does not know if the Australian Government has been informed of the claims. “I can’t tell you whether they were informed formally, I have so many contacts with representatives of your embassy here in town, the exchange of information has certainly been constant, open and significant but whether or not we got down into the details of this, I really have no recollection,” he said. “We certainly would have shared it with them if we found that there was any evidence of misconduct in the office of the prosecution, but we did not find any such evidence.”
Brig Gen Hemingway denies that the cases being prosecuted are low-level. “All of the cases I have recommended that the appointing authority refer to trial, are cases upon which I thought there was sufficient evidence to warrant sending to a fact-finder,” he said.
“In each of the four cases which have been referred, the appointing authority John Alterburgh made an independent determination that the evidence was sufficient to warrant trial.”
He also denies that the commission panels are being hand-picked to insure detainees are not acquitted. “I can tell you that any such assertion is clearly incorrect,” he said. “There is absolutely no evidence that it is rigged.”
US Terror Hearings Rigged, Say Prosecutors
Nick Squires / The Telegraph
SYDNEY, Australia (August 8, 2005) — The military commissions set up by the United States to try terrorism suspects held at Guantanamo Bay are rigged, fraudulent and based on “half-assed” evidence, according to leaked e-mails.
The e-mails, obtained by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, were written by two former military prosecutors to superiors last year, and will prove embarrassing to Washington and Canberra.
In one, Major Robert Preston described the cases being prepared against the detainees as “marginal” and “a fraud on the American people”. He added: “Surely they don’t expect that this fairly half-assed effort is all that we have been able to put together after all this time?”
Of about 500 detainees at the US naval base in Cuba, a dozen have been declared eligible to appear before the commissions. One is David Hicks, 29, an Australian accused of fighting for the Taliban in Afghanistan.
In a second e-mail, another prosecutor, Capt John Carr, is quoted as saying: “I find a half-hearted and disorganised effort by a skeleton group of relatively inexperienced attorneys to prosecute fairly low-level accused in a process that appears to be rigged.”
Capt Carr said the panel sitting in judgment on the cases would be “hand-picked” in order to ensure convictions.
Both lawyers have been transferred to other duties.
Brig Gen Thomas Hemingway, a senior legal adviser to the commissions, told journalists that a Pentagon inquiry had found that the prosecutors’ comments were the result of “miscommunication” or “personality conflicts”.
Australia’s foreign minister, Alexander Downer, said the government was satisfied the commissions would not be biased. But Mr Hicks’s law-yer, David McLeod, said: “Any credibility that the military commissions might have had has now evaporated.”
The Labour opposition called it a “major scandal”.
Former US President Jimmy Carter Says Guantánamo Detentions Disgraceful
LONDON (August 1, 2005)– Former US President Jimmy Carter says the detention of suspects at the Guantánamo Bay Naval base is an embarrassment and that the U.S.-led war in Iraq is “unnecessary and unjust.”
Speaking at a news conference in Birmingham, England, at a conference of the Baptist World Alliance, the former U.S. president said that “what is going on in Guantánamo Bay and other places is a disgrace” to the United States. Carter added that terrorist acts could not be justified, but that the torture and mistreatment of prisoners at Guantánamo “may be an aggravating factor.”
The 2002 Nobel peace prize winner told reporters that “what has happened at Guantánamo Bay… does not represent the will of the American people.” Jimmy Carter had previously called for the Guantánamo prison to be shut down, saying reports of abuses there were an embarrassment to the United States. He also said that the United States needs to make sure no detainees are held incommunicado and that all are told the charges against them.
The former US president said that he believes the invasion of Iraq was “unnecessary and unjust,” saying that “the premises on which it was launched were false.”
The Baptist World Alliance, comprising more than 200 Baptist unions around the world, was formed in London in 1905. The headquarters of the alliance, which meets in a different location every five years, moved to the United States in 1947. An estimated 12,700 delegates gathered in the city of Birmingham in central England for the conference. Carter, a Baptist Sunday school teacher in his hometown of Plains, Georgia, led a Bible study lesson during the conference. A deeply religious person, he heads the Carter Center, based in Atlanta.
Posted in accordance with Title 17, US Code, for noncommercial, educational purposes.