Democrats.com – 2006-10-20 09:24:45
While North Korea is dominating the headlines, the threat of an “October Surprise” US attack on Iran has not diminished.
Pentagon planners have moved from routine “contingency” war plans to “second-stage” war plans. And the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Eisenhower and its accompanying strike force of cruiser, destroyer and attack submarine are sailing towards Iran.
How would Iran respond to an attack? Iran has three times the population of Iraq, and a modern military capable of firing missiles at our oil-producing allies and shutting down all shipping in the Straits of Hormuz, through which 20% of the world’s oil travels every day.
The 140,000 US soldiers in Iraq would be attacked by Iran’s Iraqi allies, and Hezbollah would attack Israel.
So why would Bush want war with Iran? For one obvious reason: to prevent Democrats from sweeping the November elections, as all polls now predict.
How could Bush attack Iran with all of our soldiers tied down in Iraq and Afghanistan? By relying entirely on bombs and missiles delivered by planes and ships. After all, Bush threatened to bomb our ally Pakistan back to the “stone age” if Gen. Musharraf refused to help us after 9/11.
If conventional bombs won’t cause enough destruction, Bush’s neocon supporters are urging Bush to use nuclear weapons.
How would Bush start a war? By provoking an Iranian attack on US forces — most likely by sending a US warship near Iranian waters, or flying a US warplane near Iranian airspace. After all, Bush planned to send a US spyplane over Saddam Hussein’s Iraq painted in UN colors to provoke an Iraqi attack that would get Bush the UN resolution he desperately wanted.
Actions You Can Take
Bush fooled America once already with his invasion of Iraq. How can we stop him from invading Iran?
• 1. Tell your Representative to support Rep. Peter DeFazio’s resolution requiring a Congressional vote prior to military action against Iran.
• 2. Join 60,000 people who have signed our petition:
• 3. Forward our message to your friends.
• 4. Call talk shows and write letters to your newspaper – and don’t hesitate to express your fear and anger.
• 5. Challenge your Congressional candidates to declare their opposition to a US attack on Iran.
• 6. Register to vote immediately and vote on November 7.
• 7. Read Scott Ritter’s new book, Target Iran.
• 8. Follow important Iran War news at AfterDowningStreet.org.
• 9. Be prepared to march peacefully if the White House starts signaling an imminent attack on Iran.