CBC News & GlobalResearch.ca & Wayne Madsen Report – 2006-11-09 23:59:25
Hamas Militants Call for Revenge after 18 Palestinians Killed
(November 8, 2006) — Hamas militants said a truce with Israel is over and vowed to take revenge after Israeli tanks shelled a town in the Gaza Strip, killing 18 Palestinians on Wednesday.
Hamas gunmen will respond to the killing in the border town of Beit Hanoun with “deed, not words,” Hamas chief Khaled Mashaal said at a news conference in Damascus, Syria, after the attack in northern Gaza.
“The armed struggle is free to resume, and the resistance will be dictated by local circumstances,” Mashaal said.
Hamas and another militant group had agreed to a truce with Israel last year that ended on Dec. 31, but which all parties involved had continued to respect.
Senior Israeli government officials, for their part, expressed regret at the killing, saying Israel will give humanitarian assistance to the wounded.
Israeli Defence Minister Amir Peretz has ordered the army to stop artillery attacks in Gaza. The army, meanwhile, has called for an inquiry into the incident, but said it thinks its tanks attacked areas that had been used recently as launching sites for rockets into Israeli cities.
Palestinian witnesses said Israeli tanks fired upon a neighbourhood in the border town, leaving behind a shattered row of homes that belonged to an extended family. The 18 people who died, including eight children, were related to one another and were sleeping when the attack occurred.
Beit Hanoun has been the focus of a recent Israeli offensive in the area. Israeli troops withdrew from the town early Tuesday, after taking over the town for a week in a move against militants who launch rockets at southern Israel. Scores of Palestinians, mostly militants, were killed in the offensive.
Other Palestinian leaders denounced Israel for the attack and called on the United Nations Security Council to hold an emergency meeting to discuss the killing. Palestinian people called the killing a massacre.
America Targeted for Revenge: Hamas Military Wing
In a statement released Wednesday, the Hamas military wing called on Muslims around the world to launch attacks on American targets in revenge.
“America is offering political, financial and logistic cover for the Zionist occupation crimes, and it is responsible for the Beit Hanoun massacre. Therefore, the people and the nation all over the globe are required to teach the American enemy tough lessons,” the statement said.
Palestinian Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh, who leads the political wing of Hamas, said talks to form a national unity government with moderate President Mahmoud Abbas would be suspended. He did not call for attacks on American targets, but said, “We have a right to self defence.”
Haniyeh declared three days of mourning throughout the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni said Israel “has no intention of harming innocent people,” but “to our great regret, in the course of the fighting, regrettable things sometimes happen, such as the incident this morning.”
Gaza Offensive to Continue: Israel
Israeli government spokeswoman Miri Eisin said Israel would continue its offensive in the Gaza Strip to protect itself.
“The Israeli operation throughout the Gaza Strip will continue as long as Qassam rockets land in Israel, as long as the smuggling of weapons into the Gaza Strip continues and as long as the Hamas government chooses for the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip to continuously provoke Israel,” Eisin said.
Peter Armstrong, a CBC reporter in Gaza at the scene of the shelling, said three houses in one strip of the street were hit. He said family members of the victims were shuffling between the scene and the local hospital where the wounded were taken for treatment.
“People want to know if their family members are alive and at this point many of them still don’t know,” he said.
Armstrong said the shelling will only add to the tension in the Gaza Strip in general and Beit Hanoun in particular, where the Israel army has been for the last six days. “It’s already very tense and quite obviously today makes it even more so,” he said.
“The familiar response from the militants is blood for blood, bombardment for bombardment.”
With files from the Associated Press
Is Israel Running Out of Bombs?
Michel Chossudovsky / GlobalResearch.ca
(July 22, 2006) — The aerial attacks on Lebanon have contributed to fuellng the US military industrial complex in what essentially constitutes a “profit driven war.”
The Israeli air force confirms that it has led 3000 sorties hitting some 1,800 targets since the beginning of the bombing campaign (BBC, 22, July 2006). According to UN sources, close to one million people have been displaced out of a total population of 3.8 million. The country’s civilian infrastructure has been destroyed.
In contrast to the “shock and awe” March 2003 blitzkrieg over Iraq, the Israelis have aimed almost exclusively civilian targets. Moreover, Lebanon is defenseless. It does not possess an air defense system and the Israelis know it.
The number of declared targets is staggering, even when compared, for instance, to the 300 selected strategic targets identified in the 1991 Gulf war.
The civilian infrastructure has been destroyed: water, telecommunications, bridges, airports, gas stations, power plants, dairy factories, etc. Confirmed by the British press, in towns and villages across Lebanon, schools and hospitals have been targeted with meticulous accuracy.
In an utterly twisted logic, the Israeli government casually blames Hizbollah for using the schools and hospitals as hideouts or launch-pads to wage their terrorist activities. (ABC Australia, interview with Israeli Ambassador to Australia, Nati Tamir, 21 July 2006).
“This Is Not a War, This Is a Crisis”
To state that “the Lebanon crisis” was triggered by the capture of two Israeli soldiers by Hizbollah militants on July 12th is absurd.
The history of war and military planning is not an object of analysis by the Western media. The real causes and consequences of what is described as the “Lebanon crisis” remain unheralded. Civilian deaths are dismissed as inevitable. The humanitarian crisis is downplayed. The issue of Israeli sponsored war crimes is never mentioned.
Realities are turned upside town. The level of media disinformation and cover-up of what is actually happening in the war theater is staggering.
A military operation of this magnitude takes months to prepare. The decision to bomb Lebanon was taken well before July 12. The war on Lebanon is part of a broader military agenda which has been in the planning stage for more than a year.
In very concrete terms, the bombing raids consist in destroying a nation, in “wiping Lebanon off the map”, to use a familiar expression, in a righteous act of “self-defense” by Israel, according to the Western media.
Is Israel Running Out of Bombs?
To meet shortfalls in current stockpiles of WMD, Israel’s IDF is to take delivery of an emergency shipment of precision guided bombs, including US made GBU-28 bunker buster bombs produced by Raytheon.
“Pentagon and military officials declined to describe in detail the size and contents of the shipment to Israel, and they would not say whether the munitions were being shipped by cargo aircraft or some other means. But an arms-sale package approved last year provides authority for Israel to purchase from the United States as many as 100 GBU-28’s, which are 5,000-pound laser-guided bombs intended to destroy concrete bunkers. The package also provides for selling satellite-guided munitions.
An announcement in 2005 that Israel was eligible to buy the “bunker buster” weapons described the GBU-28 as “a special weapon that was developed for penetrating hardened command centers located deep underground.” The document added, “The Israeli Air Force will use these GBU-28’s on their F-15 aircraft.”” (NYT, 21 July 2006)
This proposed shipment is described by military observers as somewhat “unusual”. Israel already has a large stockpile of precision guided weapons. In addition to its own stockpiles, the IDF took delivery in 2005 of some 5000 US made “smart air launched weapons” including some 500 ‘bunker-buster bombs.
Why would Israel all of sudden need to replenish its stockpile of Weapons of Mass Destruction, to implement what is described as a punitive operation directed against Hizbollah?
While the report suggests that “Israel still had a long list of targets in Lebanon to strike”, the history of these deliveries of bunker buster bombs to Israel, suggests that they are also intended to be used in the broader Middle Eastern region.
At this particular juncture, the replenishing of Israeli stockpiles of deadly bunker buster bombs points to an escalation of the war both within and beyond the borders of Lebanon.
Moreover, the air campaign in Lebanon is inextricably related to US-Israeli strategic objectives in the broader Middle East including Syria and Iran. In recent developments, Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice has stated that the main purpose of her mission to the Middle East is not to push for a cease-fire, but rather to isolate Syria and Iran.(Daily Telegraph, 22 July 2006)
A ground war has already started in Southern Lebanon. Aerial targets in Syria are also contemplated. Syria’s capital Damascus is less than 50 kilometers from Lebanon’s Beka valley, which has been the object of an extensive bombing campaign.
Moreover, it is worth recalling that the first shipment of US made bunker buster bombs in 2005 was delivered to Israel, in the eventuality of a US-Israeli attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities.
“The Israeli target for the GBU is no secret. For months Israeli intelligence, political and policy operatives in the US have been presenting a case that Iran is secretly developing nuclear weapons that threaten Tel Aviv and other Israeli population centers”
The plan for such an attack on Iran entered “the advanced stage of readiness” in mid 2005. The Iran operation is still on the US-Israeli military agenda, in partnership with Turkey and NATO.
Moreover, a new draft resolution concerning Tehran’s alleged nuclear weapons program, slated to be submitted to the UN Security Council, suggests that military action against Iran is being considered at the highest levls of the military command structure.
Under this plan, the Israeli Air Force would attack Iran’s nuclear facility at Bushehr using both US and Israeli produced bunker buster bombs. Bear in mind that the bunker buster bombs can also be used to deliver tactical nuclear bombs. The B61-11 is the “nuclear version” of the “conventional” BLU 113. It can be delivered in much same way as the conventional bunker buster bomb. (See Michel Chossudovsky, http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/CHO112C.html , see also http://www.thebulletin.org/article_nn.php?art_ofn=jf03norris ) .
Replenishing the Stockpiles of Israel’s WMD
The bombs which are now being rushed to Israel are the large 5000 lb GBU 28 bunker buster bombs, which can in one strike in an urban area kill literally hundreds of people.
The US claims that the bunker buster bomb is safe for the surrounding civilian population, because the explosion is underground. Israel has stated that the GBU 28 is to be used against Hizbollah, because Hizbollah has taken refuge in deep underground bunkers:
“Designed to penetrate hardened command centers located deep underground, the GBU-28 is a 5,000-pound laser-guided bomb that uses a 4,400-pound penetrating warhead and contains 630 pounds of high explosives.” (http://www.irmep.org/GBU.htm)
The GBU 28 has already been used in densely populated urban areas inside Lebanon. The gruesome images of charred and mutilated bodies following these aerial bombings, could indeed be the result of the use of the GBU-28, which is among the deadliest weapons in the conventional arsenal (see below).
“Israel’s need for precision munitions is driven in part by its strategy in Lebanon, which includes destroying hardened underground bunkers where Hezbollah leaders are said to have taken refuge, as well as missile sites and other targets that would be hard to hit without laser and satellite-guided bombs.” (NYT, 21 July 2006)
The Centre for Research on Globalization (CRG), www.globalresearch.ca, grants permission to cross-post original Global Research articles in their entirety. For publication of Global Research articles in print or other forms including commercial internet sites, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
© Copyright Michel Chossudovsky, GlobalResearch.ca, 2006
Evidence of Illegal Bombs Provided by US
Wayne Madsen Report
(July 22/23, 2006) — US military intelligence sources have told WMR that the artillery shell shown below being used by an Israel Defense Force member in Lebanon, is a type of dual- and multi-use weapon the neocons falsely accused Saddam Hussein of possessing.
Although the canister artillery shell is marketed as an anti-land mine fuel-air bomb, its payload can also include the chemicals used in thermobaric bombs, white phosphorous weapons, and chemical weapons.
Thermobaric bombs contain polymer-bonded explosives or solid fuel-air explosives in their payloads. Thermobarics use a fuse munition unit (FMU) such as that seen on the nose of the Israeli artillery shell.
The shell penetrates buildings, underground shelters, or tunnels, creating such a blast pressure that all the oxygen is sucked out from the spaces and the lungs of anyone who happens to be in proximity. Israel’s use of such “vacuum” weapons has been reported from across Lebanon.
The artillery shell below, with its FMU penetrator, can also be used to deliver chemical weapons, the use of which is also being reported from southern Lebanon. In addition, it can deliver white phosphorous, a substance that literally melts through skin but leaves clothing relatively intact.
In Fallujah and elsewhere in Iraq, US forces have used white phosphorous on civilians, leaving grotesque corpses as a psychological warfare reminder to the civilian population to surrender or evacuate an area. The photo from Sidon of a burnt and badly disfigured young Lebanese girl is a telltale sign of white phosphorous use by the Israelis. Similar photos from Fallujah were shown to this editor by a top investigative reporter for Italy’s RAI television network.
US military intelligence experts believe the ease at which the Israeli soldier is handling the artillery shell is an indication that the payload contains light-weight gas and not a fuel-air mixture or thermobaric bomb components. WMR continues to receive reports from Lebanon of depleted uranium shells being used by the Israelis. The New York Times today is reporting that the US is stepping up its delivery of “precision-guided” munitions to Israel.
Israeli dual/multi-use WMD (left) and badly burnt body of young Lebanese girl with telltale signs of white phosphorous attack.
Posted in accordance with Title 17, US Code, for noncommercial, educational purposes.