Progressive Democrats of America – 2006-11-30 23:29:52
Call your Representative and Senators and tell them “Stop Funding War! – Bring Our Troops Home – NOW! ”
The first “National Call-In Day” since the election will be Dec. 4, and we’re encouraging you to please participate by placing a call to your representative and senators to ask them to “Stop Funding War” and bring our troops home.
The death toll and carnage in Iraq is increasing at an alarming rate. Our soldiers are caught in the middle of a civil war unleashed by an administration that refused to plan for postwar reconstruction and failed to understand Iraqi culture and history.
Congress and the administration sit and wait … for the Baker-Hamilton Iraq Study Group report, for the Pentagon study group report, the White House study group — for anything they can hide behind.
On Election Day, voters said enough is enough — we want a new direction. Let’s make sure Congress hears it again by jamming the switchboards on Dec. 4 with our pleas to bring our troops home immediately.
• Sign the petition! I support the passage of H.R. 4232, the End the War in Iraq Act of 2005, introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives by Rep. James McGovern (D-MA).
• Send an email to the Iraq Study Group. Ask that their recommendations include immediate withdrawal of American troops from Iraq.
• Click here and scroll down to find your representative and senators.
Call your representative and both senators at 202-224-3121 and tell them:
“I insist that Congress act immediately to bring all U.S. troops home from Iraq NOW!”
The United States has now been engaged in Iraq for longer than our engagement in World War II. Violence in Iraq is spiking to ever-higher levels. It is impossible to say how many Iraqis have died during the war and occupation, but Johns Hopkins University estimates 650,000. We know that over 2,800 US troops have died, and over 20,000 have been maimed or wounded.
The Constitution gives Congress the power to end this war through the power of the purse. Sen. Robert Byrd (D-WV) has described this as “the fulcrum of the people’s leverage … to shackle the hands of an overreaching chief executive.” Congress can and must use this leverage to bring the occupation of Iraq to an end.
Stop Funding War Campaign Plan
Mimi Kennedy, Advisory Board Chair, Tim Carpenter, Executive Director, Sherry Bohlen, Field Director
(November 9, 2006) — With the election of a Democratic House and Senate, now is the time to put pressure on Congress to stop funding war. PDA, with your financial support, is proud to launch the STOP FUNDING WAR campaign!
This is how your contribution will be spent:
. We’ll provide each of our Chapters with STOP FUNDING WAR bumper stickers, buttons and lapel stickers to distribute freely at events, meetings, conferences, conventions and actions.
• We’ll produce a 10-minute DVD featuring Congressman Jim McGovern and PDA Board Members Rep Barbara Lee, Lynn Woolsey, and Rev Lennox Yearwood focusing on encouraging our congressional leadership to STOP FUNDING WAR!
• We’ll provide our Chapters and grassroots leadership with a free copy of the DVD for presentation at meetings, conferences and other gatherings.
• We’ll expand our STOP FUNDING WAR blog ads.
• We’ll expand our STOP FUNDING WAR CapWiz alerts encouraging our grassroots base to send instant messages to their congressional representatives asking them to support HR 4232 or similar legislation.
• We’ll organize and mobilize our Chapters to challenge our congressional representatives to stand with us in a call to STOP FUNDING WAR!
• We’ll be able to send PDA national leadership to join our grassroots on the ground at key STOP FUNDING WAR campaign events.
• We’ll provide support for individual state and county Democratic Party Central Committees to pass resolutions in support of “Ending the Funding” for the war in Iraq.
• And, we’ll be able to provide general support and materials for our grassroots leadership to carry this vital campaign forward.
Please support PDA’s grassroots work. With the exception of two paid staff members, we are an an all-volunteer organization that really knows how to stretch a dollar. Your contribution is integral to this campaign’s success. As a small “thank you” for your support, we’ll send a bumper sticker and button to each donor that contributes to this campaign.