Democrats.com – 2007-01-10 23:01:35
Bush’s Escalation Provokes Constitutional Crisis –
And a Progressive Mobilization
Showing his utter contempt for the will of the American people, George Bush is moving ahead with his plan to escalate the War in Iraq by 20,000 troops, starting by January 31.
Senator Ted Kennedy is drawing a line in the sand by introducing a bill to require Congress to approve Bush’s escalation. But Bush is making it clear he would defy Congress – just as he has defied the American people.
Just as we predicted, Bush is provoking a “Constitutional Crisis” – which will force Democrats to put impeachment back “on the table” sooner rather than later.
Be sure to sign our impeachment petitions:
• Ten Reasons to Impeach Bush and Cheney
• Impeach George Bush and Dick Cheney
At long last, the broad progressive movement is gearing up to stop Bush by organizing events both locally and nationally. You can find local events in your area, or post them yourself for others to sign up and attend at:
Below are listed some selected national events to plan for. A more complete list is at:
• Jan. 10: 9:00 p.m. Bush to announce escalation of occupation of Iraq. Protesters to gather in Lafayette Square Park to make sure the press hears “De-escalate! Investigate! Troops Home Now!” Join us!
Note that many members of Congress will claim they have no power to stop this. A report from the Center for American Progress Action Fund shows that Congress does have this power and has often used it in the past:
Senator Ted Kennedy has introduced a bill to block this escalation:
You can let your Congress Member know you expect them to block any escalation and immediately begin defunding the war and bringing our troops safely home:
• Jan 11: Events all over the United States and a Congressional Call-In Day to close Guantanamo.
• Jan 11: Events in Washington D.C. to close Guantanamo, including a 10:00 a.m. rally in Upper Senate Park; a 10:30 a.m. press conference on the steps of the Supreme Court with Witness Against Torture, the Center for Constitutional Rights, and Amnesty USA; a march in orange prisoner jumpsuits to federal court; nonviolent civil disobedience and a rally in front of court; a 6:30 p.m. teach-in at Georgetown Law School; plus lobbying of Congress.
• Jan. 11: Events Across the Country to Oppose Escalation of Iraq Occupation: Join the Nationwide Peace Surge! Join with Progressive Democrats of America, United for Peace & Justice, CodePink, TrueMajority, Working Assets, U.S. Labor Against War, Peace Action, Mainstreet Moms, NOW, WAND, Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations, Faithful America, United Methodist Church General Board of Church and Society, Physicians for Social Responsibility, DC for Democracy, Sojourners, Democrats.com, AfterDowningStreet.org, and many more.
Volunteers will host actions across the country within 24 hours of the President’s speech with a simple message: “America says NO more troops in Iraq!” Of course, America says much more than that! We say to Congress: Cut off the money for war, bring the troops home, and hold Bush and Cheney accountable! Take that message to these events! Find an Event in Your Area:_http://tinyurl.com/yc9f78
• Jan 11: 6:00-7:00 p.m. Antiwar Demonstration across from the White House in Lafayette Square Park led by DC for Democracy.
• Jan. 12: 9:30-11:30 a.m. Former Senator George McGovern and Dr. William Polk present a plan to withdraw from Iraq at an event hosted by Congresswomen Lynn Woolsey and Barbara Lee in 345 Cannon House Office Building.
• Jan. 12: 12:30 p.m. Former Senator George McGovern to Speak at National Press Club About How to End the War
• Jan. 15: 12:00 p.m. in Bethesda, Md., March to Lockheed Martin Headquarters to Demand They Stop Making Weapons That Primarily Harm Civilians and the Environment_http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/node/17074
• Jan. 17: Possible introduction of impeachment resolution in a state legislature to be named very soon.
• Jan. 23: Bush to deliver State of the Union (Shall we see who can count the most lies?)
• Jan. 28: Congressman Henry Waxman to hold a town hall meeting in his district.
• Jan. 27-29: March for peace and impeachment, workshops, lobbying for defunding and investigating (See below).
• Feb. 5: Bush expected to submit budget.
• Feb. 5: Lt. Ehren Watada to face Court Martial.
• Feb. 5: Occupation Project Begins, set to last 8 weeks. Get ready to occupy Congress Members’ offices for peace and impeachment._http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/occupationproject
• Feb. 15: Four-Year Anniversary of the World’s Largest Protest
• Feb. 16-26 Congress to recess. Meet with your Congress Member at home!
• March 4: March Forth. Events led by the Backbone Campaign.
• Mar 6: Vermont towns to vote on Bush impeachment resolutions
• March 17-19: Peace Demonstrations everywhere to mark four years of Iraq War
• Ongoing: Cities for Peace
• Ongoing: Cities and States for Impeachment
Newly Updated AfterDowningStreet Flyer to Print, Copy, Distribute
March and Lobby in Washington
On January 27th, 28th, and 29th<.b><.big>
Come to Washington, D.C., on January 27. Join in the march for peace being organized by United for Peace and Justice,
and impeachment events on January 28th being planned by Progressive Democrats of America.
Make appointments now to meet with your Congress Member on January 29th to demand impeachment and peace. Get organized with others in your Congressional District.
TIP: Buy a dozen or more Impeachment Shirts, bring them to DC, sell them at a profit, and pay for your trip.
Sign Up for Lobby Day Now
• Register now for the UFPJ Congressional Advocacy Day (lobby day) January 29, 2007
• March to the Capitol on J27 — march into your Rep. and Senators’ offices on J29!_Register Here:
Plan to spend three days in DC. On Saturday, march. On Sunday, take part in workshops and training sessions on peace and impeachment. Meet with fellow activists from your state and congressional district and prepare for Monday. On Monday, lobby your Congress Member and Senators for two things:
• 1. No more funding for this war.
• 2. Investigations of the justification for and conduct of this war.
Print Out a Flyer and Make Copies
Click here for flyer in Word. Blank areas on right are for you to fill in local info.