Karen DeYoung / Washington Post – 2009-01-10 22:36:12
WASHINGTON (January 11, 2009) — President Bush last year rejected an Israeli request to provide sophisticated, deep-penetration bombs to attack Iran’s underground nuclear enrichment facilities, Pentagon officials said yesterday.
The administration also rebuffed Israel’s plan to fly through US-controlled Iraqi airspace to reach the Iranian site, officials said. The Israelis had not proposed a specific date for an attack, and it was not clear how far along the planning was when the requests were made, officials said.
The Israeli requests were first reported on the New York Times Web site yesterday. The Times also said that President Bush, seeking to deflect the Israelis and to soften his refusal, told the government of Prime Minister Ehud Olmert that he had authorized a new covert action program to sabotage Iran’s uranium enrichment program.
The report quoted US officials as saying that some actions had been taken as part of what it described as an ongoing covert program, but that they had not seriously affected Iranian operations. Israel and the United States and principal European allies have charged that Iran has a secret nuclear weapons program, a charge Tehran has denied.
Officials with the Israeli Embassy and the CIA declined to comment last night. A White House spokesman could not be reached for comment.
Some factions within the Bush administration have long advocated a US military strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities, but military leaders and others have argued against it on the grounds that it could endanger US troops in the region and spark a broader war in the Middle East, and that it would probably only temporarily set back Iran’s efforts.
The Natanz complex in central Iran houses several underground structures containing gas centrifuges to enrich uranium. The Iranian government has said it is interested in peaceful nuclear energy only, but its failure to cooperate fully with international verification efforts has led to increasingly strict Western economic sanctions.
Israel has long considered Iran the main threat to its long-term security and has pressed a series of US administrations to take stronger action against it.
The Times said its information was developed during reporting for an upcoming book by reporter David E. Sanger on global challenges awaiting the administration of President-elect Barack Obama.
Pentagon officials said that they were disturbed when Israeli air and naval exercises in the Mediterranean last summer appeared designed to test-fly distances equal to those between Israel and Iranian sites. The exercises briefly reawakened US concerns that Israel was moving ahead with its attack plan. It could not be determined yesterday whether the Israeli plan had been abandoned or postponed.
Staff writer Joby Warrick contributed to this report.
Posted in accordance with Title 17, Section 107, US Code, for noncommercial, educational purposes.
Related Stores from
Environmentalists Against War
• The US wants to “set Israel loose” to attack Iran. …. attack Iran’s nuclear facility at Bushehr using US as well Israeli produced bunker buster bombs. …
www.envirosagainstwar.org/know/read.php?itemid=2748 – 1
• Israel Says US Attak on Iran ‘Imminent’: White House Issues Denial …. carry 30000-pound “bunker buster” bombs, needed to destroy Iran’s hardened nuclear …
• We oppose your proposal to attack Iran.” Nuclear-capable US warships are now … However, the United States still has a B61-11 nuclear ‘bunker buster’ in …
• In addition to the Bunker Buster, the Reliable Replacement Warhead program … materials and technologies, most notably in North Korea, Pakistan and Iran. …
• The US is planning military action against Iran because George Bush is … the possible use of a tactical nuclear bunker-buster, such as the B61-11, …
• The next war the White House gets us into, be it against a so-called “rogue state” like Iran or geo-political rival like China, will be planned, …
• ACTION ALERT: Protest War and US/Israel Plans to Attack Iran …… including the bunker buster, mini-nukes, a new bomb plant to produce new nuclear …
www.envirosagainstwar.org/act/alerts.php – 287k – Cached –
• EAW Asks US to Act Quickly to Address Environmental Impacts of US Invasion … were made to assassinate Iraqi officials with multiple bunker-buster bombs, …
www.envirosagainstwar.org/know/read.php?&itemid=155 – –
• Iran’s Press-TV reports: “The US will reportedly equip Israel with highly advanced ‘bunker-buster’ (GBU-39) bombs been developed to penetrate fortified …
www.envirosagainstwar.org/know/index.php – 977k – –