Change.org – 2009-01-12 22:46:24
As of 8 pm PST Jan. 12th, this idea is in 25th Place and needs 4278 more votes to be part of the final 10 ideas presented at the Jan. 16th event in Washington, DC.
Final Round of Voting ends Jan. 15
The Social networking site Change.org is hosting an open forum to determine the top 10 policy recommendations to the Obama administration. Please cast your vote calling for US Leadership to Abolish Nuclear Weapons Globally. Here’s what you’ll be voting for:
It is far too dangerous to keep global nuclear disarmament on the back burner. Nuclear weapons pose the most immediate, overwhelming and devastating threat imaginable to our country and to civilization.
The only way to assure that these weapons are never used again is to abolish them forever. Only the United States has the leadership capacity to bring the countries of the world together to achieve this goal.
It is time for the US to assert that leadership, and President-elect Obama has shown by his statements that he is prepared to lead on this issue. We call upon him to make a strong public commitment to the abolition of nuclear weapons globally; to initiate bilateral negotiations with the Russians to take nuclear weapons off high alert status and to dramatically and verifiably reduce the number of nuclear weapons in the arsenals of our two nations; and to convene a meeting of the nuclear weapons states to initiate negotiations on a global treaty for the phased, verifiable, irreversible and transparent elimination of all nuclear weapons by the year 2020.
This would make the United States more secure, restore its credibility throughout the world, and be a gift to all humanity and all future generations.
The top 10 rated ideas from the final round will be presented to the Obama administration on January 16th at an event at the National Press Club in Washington, DC, co-hosted by the Case Foundation, where they will also announce the launch of a national advocacy campaign behind each idea in collaboration with their nonprofit partners to turn each idea into actual policy.
Cast your vote now!
Voting ends 5 pm ET Jan 15, so hurry!!
Change.org voting instructions:
• 1) Go to https://www.change.org/ideas/view/us_leadership_to_abolish_nuclear_weapons and click the “Vote” button again. If you have a change.org account, you’re done. If not, you’ll have to go through steps 2-4.
• 2) fill in your name and a real email address in the box that pops up.
• 3) Go to your email inbox and open change.org’ s confirmation email. Click the link inside.
• 4) Return to https://www.change.org/ideas/view/us_leadership_to_abolish_nuclear_weapons, and click the “vote” button again.
• 5) 5) Forward this message to all your lists!