Jews in Solidarity with Palestine – 2009-01-23 08:30:18
• Sign the Statement:
Stop the US-backed genocidal Israeli war on Gaza!.Nearly a thousand women, men and children killed by US-made Israeli bombs. Thousands more wounded.1.5 million under siege for the past 18 months, without food, water, medicine, fuel.
Collective punishment for resisting occupation; emergency aid blocked. Massive violations of international law. Apartheid wall. Racist oppression. Homes and land stolen. Forced into refugee camps. 60 years of occupation, from the river to the sea. We Say Enough!
We Are Jews in Solidarity with Palestine.
No to Israel! Yes To Self-Determination, Democracy & Freedom! Stop US Funding of the War on Palestine! Free Palestine!
The whole world is horrified by the murderous Israeli assault against the suffering people of Gaza. From Seoul to Caracas, from Johannesburg to Amman to London, millions of people have poured into the streets to demand an end to this genocidal campaign, which is funded by the United States and carried out with US-supplied weaponry.
There have also been protests in US cities. While most of those marching are Arab-Americans, many African Americans, Latinos, Asian-Americans and whites have joined in. Many Jewish people, outraged at Israel’s war crimes and anguished that they are carried out in their name, are speaking out.
It’s good that Jewish people of conscience are disassociating themselves from the Gaza aggression.
But it’s not enough. This atrocity is only the latest, and it’s no aberration. It reflects the program of the Israeli settler state — which is based on the theft of Palestine, the ouster and suppression of the Palestinian people, and the racist ideology of Zionism — and of its primary sponsor, the Pentagon and US business establishment.
It’s not enough to oppose the bombing. It’s not enough to demand an end to the 41-year occupation of Gaza and the West Bank. We stand in complete and unconditional support for the self-determination of the Palestinian people. This includes the right to return to Palestine, from the river to the sea, and the right to democratically determine the form and the future of the Palestinian state.
Nothing less will undo the historic crime of /al Nakba/ — the 1948 catastrophe of the establishment of the state of Israel based on the ouster of the Palestinian people from their homeland, oppression and inequality.
That crime betrayed the whole history of the Jewish people. From helping topple the czar in Russia and build the unions in New York, to resisting pogroms and fighting to the last breath in the Warsaw Ghetto, opposition to persecution, oppression and racism was central to the Jewish heritage.
We call on Jewish people around the world, including those inside Israel, to join us in reclaiming that heritage. Reject racism and genocide. Reject the Zionist state, the very concept of which is racist to the core. Take the hand of our Palestinian sisters and brothers. Defend their righteous struggle to restore their stolen land and build a democratic Palestine.
This is not an impossible quest.
Remember how mighty the settler state in South Africa seemed, only a little over two decades ago? The racist regime there was buttressed by US — and Israeli — support. But it was battered by the unstoppable political and military struggle against apartheid, which gained worldwide support. Apartheid fell, replaced by a new state based on legal equality.
A future of equality for all is possible in Palestine too. Until this future is won, the Palestinian struggle will go on. We stand with that struggle.
*Initial list of signers:
• Toni Arenstein, NY
• Dave Axelrod, NJ
• Tibby Brooks, NY
• Ellen Catalinotto, NY
• Sara Catalinotto, NY
• Hillel Cohen, Doctor of Public Health, NY
• Naomi Cohen, NY
• Heather Cottin, Long Island Troops Out Now Coalition, NY
• Barbara Dorritie, Teacher, MA
• Ellie Dorritie, ret., APWU*, WNY
• Rachel Duell, prof., NJ
• K. E. Durkin, NY_Sharon Eolis, nurse-practitioner, ret., NY
• Shelley Ettinger, NY_Leslie Feinberg, Co-founder, Rainbow Flags for Mumia, NY
• Irving Fierstein, artist, NY
• Laurie Fierstein, NY
• Michele Finkelman, AFSCME L. 215*, NY
• Sherry Finkelman, UFT L. 2*, NY
• Julie Fry, V-P., Assn. of Legal Aid Attorneys*, NY
• Gavrielle Gemma, NJ_Michael Gimbel, del., NYC Central Labor Council*
• Carl Glenn, NJ
• Jerome Goldberg, attorney. MI
• Marsha Goldberg, NY
• Fred Goldstein. NY
• Lila Goldstein, Students for Justice for Palestine*, MA
• Judy Greenspan, CA
• Sue Harris, Ph.D., NY
• Joyce Kanowitz, NY
• Stevan Kirschbaum, chair, Grievance Comm., USW L. 8751*, MA_Tova Klein, CA
• Michael Kramer, I.D.F. veteran, Veterans for Peace, Chap. 021*, NJ
• Donna Lazarus, UFT*, NJ
• Milt Neidenberg, ret., Teamsters L. 840*, NJ_Frank Neisser, CWA L. 1701, ret.*, MA
• Cornelia Rakow, NY
• Arthur Rosen, NY
• Anita Rosenblithe, AFT*, NY
• Malcolm Sacks, Montreal
• William Sacks, attorney, NY
• Karina Mellos-Schechter. NY
• Dave Schechter, NY
• Susan Schnur, Transit Union L. 268*, OH
• J.R. Singer, Ph.D., NY
• David Sole, Pres., UAW L. 2334*, MA
• Al Strasburger, NJ
• Paul Teitelbaum, International Action Center, AZ
• Jill White, EdD, IL
• Eddie Yood, NY
• *For purposes of identification only.
View the complete list of signers