Laura King / Los Angeles Times – 2011-07-03 00:24:20
KABUL, Afghanistan (July 2, 2011) — Buried bombs killed 30 Afghan civilians in a 48-hour span in the latest grim illustration of the dangers faced by noncombatants as the season’s fighting heats up.
Insurgents routinely seed roads and pathways with IEDs, or improvised explosive devices — their favored weapon against Western troops. But most often, those killed and injured by the hidden bombs are civilians.
The latest casualties came Saturday in Zabul province, in southern Afghanistan, when a van filled with travelers struck a roadside bomb. Thirteen people were killed, including four children and four women, said a spokesman for the provincial government.
On Friday evening, two separate bombs planted close together killed four people in the rural Maruf district of volatile Kandahar province. One was apparently triggered by a donkey, and two people riding or leading the animal died in the explosion. Then two more people who rushed to the rescue were killed by another bomb, police said.
The Taliban and other insurgents often plant bombs close together, in hopes of killing troops and then those who rush to the rescue.
The bombings in Zabul and Kandahar followed another deadly episode on Thursday night in nearby Nimroz province, a roadside bomb that killed 13 people and injured about three dozen others.
Civilians have been dying in record numbers as violence ratchets upward across Afghanistan. The United Nations said May was the deadliest month for noncombatants since it began keeping track five years ago, with 368 civilians killed in war-related violence. That month coincided with the start of the Taliban spring offensive.
Military fatalities, too, have been edging higher. Western troop deaths — 65 in June, according to the independent website icasualties.org which tracks combat fatalities in Afghanistan and Iraq — reached their highest levels of the year last month. Forty-six of those were Americans.
NATO’s International Security Assistance Force on Saturday announced the deaths of two more service members, one in western Afghanistan and another a day earlier in the south. The NATO force did not disclose the nationalities involved, but Italian media reports said Saturday’s death was that of an Italian soldier.
Copyright Â© 2011, Los Angeles Times
Posted in accordance with Title 17, Section 107, US Code, for noncommercial, educational purposes.