Ellen Mitchell / The Hill & News.com.au – 2018-08-12 19:36:02
Mattis: Pentagon, White House in
‘Complete Agreement’ on Space Force
Ellen Mitchell / The Hill
WASHINGTON (August 7, 2018) — Defense Secretary James Mattis said Tuesday that he “absolutely” supports the creation of a new space branch for the military, but declined to say whether it would be the separate Space Force President Trump has pressed for.
Mattis said he supports establishing a new combatant command for space and that the Pentagon is “in complete alignment with the president’s concern about protecting our assets in space.”
“We need to address space as a developing war fighting domain and a combatant command is certainly one thing that we can establish. This is a process we’re in,” Mattis said outside the Pentagon prior to meeting with British Defense Secretary Gavin Williamson.
Pressed on whether a new combatant command would be the same as establishing a separate service, as the president wants, Mattis replied, “We are working our way through all this.”
Mattis added that he, Trump, and Vice President Pence “are in complete agreement.”
Trump in June officially directed the Pentagon to “immediately begin the process necessary to establish a Space Force as the sixth branch of the armed forces.”
“When it comes to defending America, it is not enough to merely have an American presence in space. We must have American dominance in space,” Trump said during a meeting with members of the National Space Council. “We are going to have the Air Force and we are going to have the Space Force, separate but equal,” Trump said at the time.
A draft version of the Pentagon’s plans, however, showed the military was instead setting up a smaller combatant command, a new joint agency to buy military satellites and a new warfighting community â€” similar to US Cyber Command, Defense One reported late last month.
Congressional action is needed to create an entirely new military branch.
The House Armed Services Committee last year tried but failed to establish a separate space corps within the Air Force in the annual defense policy bill.
Mattis, Air Force leaders and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Joseph Dunford all opposed the move, calling it premature and bureaucratically burdensome.
Mattis said Tuesday that the Pentagon is working daily with Pence’s office and “with supporters on Capitol Hill and the relevant committees” to hash out what the space organization will look like.
There is no timeline for the space arm and details on its role are still being finalized. The Pentagon on August 1 was to deliver a report to Congress on how the Pentagon hopes to craft a Space Force, but that document was delayed.
Air Force Silent after 2-kiloton Meteor Blast Hits Earth near US Base
(August 6, 2018) — A meteor hit Earth and exploded with 2.1 kilotons of force in July, but the Air Force has made no mention of the event.
NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory confirmed an object of unspecified size traveling at 15.1 miles per second (54,360 miles per hour) struck the ground in Greenland, just 27 miles north of Thule Air Base, on July 25. The base is mainly used to detect missile launches.
Director of the Nuclear Information Project for the Federation of American Scientists Hans Kristensen tweeted about the impact, but the US Air Force has not reported the event.
Kristensen argues it’s concerning that there was no public warning from the government about the incident.
“Had it entered at a more perpendicular angle, it would have struck the earth with significantly greater force,” he writes on Business Insider.
Kristensen points to the example of the Chelyabinsk meteor, a 65-foot-wide space rock that exploded in the air over Russia without warning on Feb. 15, 2013.
It was the size of a house, brighter than the sun and visible up to 60 miles away.
About 1,500 people were injured by glass from windows smashing or other effects of the meteor’s impact as it crashed to Earth, the biggest known human toll from a space rock.
“The Chelyabinsk event drew widespread attention to what more needs to be done to detect even larger asteroids before they strike our planet,” said NASA planetary defense officer Lindley Johnson. “This was a cosmic wake-up call.”
Following the 2013 incident, the International Asteroid Warning Network was established to assist governments in detecting and responding to near-Earth objects.
But an asteroid entering the Earth’s atmosphere is not uncommon.
According to a study referenced by Kristensen, a meteor struck Earth every 13 days over a 20-year period. Most break apart upon entering the atmosphere and are “harmless.”
Posted in accordance with Title 17, Section 107, for noncommercial, educational purposes.