Reviewing Washington’s Long History of Promoting Nuclear War
Alice Slater on Face 2 Face / Pressenza International Press Agency
(September 1, 2019) — On this show we speak with Alice Slater about the historical process of nuclear weapon treaties and the relationship between the US and Russia. Alice is the UN NGO Representative of the Nuclear Age Peace Foundation, sits on the boards of World Beyond War, Nuclear Ban US, and the Global Network Against Weapons and Nuclear Power in Space, and is a member of the Global Council of Abolition 2000.
She is on the NYC Working Group for the Nobel Prize-winning International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN) ‘s campaign to promote the newly passed treaty to ban the bomb. Alice is a member of the NYC Bar Association and has written numerous articles and op-eds for Pressenza.
POLITICAL ACTIONS YOU CAN TAKE TO BAN THE BOMB
Contact your City Council member to support the following legislation on nuclear weapons:
• Res. No. 976 calling on the New York City Comptroller to instruct the pension funds of public employees in New York City to divest from and avoid any financial exposure to companies involved in the production and maintenance of nuclear weapons, reaffirming New York City as a Nuclear Weapons Free Zone, and joining the ICAN Cities Appeal and calling on the United States to support and join the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons.
• Int. No. 1621 Local Law in calling for the creation of a nuclear disarmament and nuclear weapons-free zone advisory committee
Contact your City Council member to support the following resolution to move the money away from military spending:
• Res. No. 747 calling on the federal government and its legislators to move significant funds away from the military budget to fund human needs and services and that in-depth public hearings are conducted on the dollar amounts that the City needs but that get diverted to the Pentagon.
• Contact your member of Congress to support nuclear abolition bill submitted by Eleanor Holmes Norton:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/2419 HR 2419 Nuclear Weapons Abolition and Economic Energy and Conversion Act of 2019
• Ask your member of Congress to sign the ICAN Parliamentary Pledge: https://www.icanw.org/projects/pledge/
• Look up your member of Congress here: https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative
• Ask the US Presidential Candidates to sign the pledge in support of the Ban Treaty http://www.nuclearban.us/candidates-pledge/
• Distribute the important new study Warheads To Windmills, How to Pay for the Green New Deal addressing the need to prevent the two greatest dangers facing our planet: nuclear annihilation and uncontrolled catastrophic climate destruction. See, http://www.nuclearban.us/w2w/
• Sign the World Beyond War pledge add your name to the critical new campaign to make the end of war on our planet an idea whose time has come. www.worldbeyondwar.org
• Report back your results on contacts with Council Members and/ or Congress people to: firstname.lastname@example.org