ACTION ALERT: Ban Weaponized Drones from the World
Roots Action & Ban Killer Drones
(October 25, 2021) — Meticulous researchers have documented that US drones are killing many innocent civilians in Pakistan, Yemen and elsewhere. Drones are making the world less stable and creating new enemies. Their remoteness provides those responsible with a sense of immunity.
Weaponized drones are no more acceptable than land mines, cluster bombs, or chemical weapons. The world must renounce and forbid their manufacture, possession, or use. Violators must be held accountable.
We, the undersigned organizations and individuals, urge:
- The United Nations Secretary General to investigate the concerns of Navi Pillay, the UN’s top human rights official, that drone attacks violate international law — and to ultimately pursue sanctions against nations using, possessing, or manufacturing weaponized drones;
- The Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court to investigate grounds for the criminal prosecution of those responsible for drone attacks;
- The US Secretary of State, and the ambassadors to the United States from the nations of the world, to support a treaty forbidding the possession or use of weaponized drones;
- President Joe Biden, to abandon the use of weaponized drones, and to abandon his “kill list” program regardless of the technology employed;
- The Majority and Minority Leaders of the US House and Senate, to ban the use or sale of weaponized drones.
- The governments of each of our nations around the world, to ban the use or sale of weaponized drones.
Bureau of Investigative Journalism: October 2013 update: US covert actions in Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia
Bureau of Investigative Journalism: US Secret Wars in Pakistan, Yemen, and Somalia
Washington Post: US Drone Targets in Yemen Raise Questions
New York Times: Secret ‘Kill List’ Proves a Test of Obama’s Principles and Will