ACTION ALERT: Demand Diplomacy Now
No War in Ukraine / RootsAction.org
(October 25, 2022) — As in most wars, both sides of the Ukraine War have predicted total victory month after month — with no evidence that either side has ever been remotely right about that.
The US is establishing a seemingly permanent infrastructure for a forever war, (1) the two most likely eventual endings of which are nuclear apocalypse or negotiated peace.
Is it really going to be unacceptable to have a preference for peace? Must it be forbidden to want life on Earth protected from nuclear war? (2) Should we start scratching off “peace” on all “Peace on Earth” holiday decorations now?
Many of the world’s governments have urged a negotiated peace in Ukraine. (3) Can we not mention that fact in the United States?
An unwritten ban on speaking up for peace.
A Troubling Trend
A disturbing set of standards is being developed. Certain things are not to be said or perhaps even known.
Should we treat it as a moral responsibility to remain ignorant of the fact that the US and NATO took numerous steps that predictably led to this war (4) and have worked to prevent its ending (5) (6), even while hiding behind Ukraine when refusing to negotiate?
Is it treasonous to become aware that the mass slaughter engaged in by Russia is being done by a military with a budget last year of $66 billion (7), which is 8% of the US military budget, less than 6% of all NATO nations’ military budgets, and just about equal to what the US has already sent to Ukraine, mostly in the form of weapons, not counting tens of billions from other nations and a new proposal for $50 billion more from the US this year — whereas fractions of this money could transform the world for the better: $30 billion annually could end starvation on Earth. (8)
Enough is Enough!
Diplomacy is not a dirty word! Peace is not a scandal! Ignorance is not strength!
ACTION: Email Congress and the White House to demand restraint, diplomacy, and negotiations.
ACTION: See what else you can learn and do at NoWarInUkraine.org
1. New York Times: “Pentagon Plans to Set Up a New Command to Arm Ukraine, Officials Say”
2. CNN: “‘People are furious’: Jayapal withdraws letter on Ukraine policy amid Democratic anger”
3. World BEYOND War: “‘End War in Ukraine’ Say 66 Nations at UN General Assembly”
4. World BEYOND War: “NATO and a War Foretold”
5. World BEYOND War: “Peace Talks Essential as War Rages on in Ukraine”
6. Common Dreams: “Boris Johnson Pressured Zelenskyy to Ditch Peace Talks With Russia: Ukrainian Paper”
7. Mapping Militarism
8. World BEYOND War: “Three Percent Plan”
Background from Progressive Hub:
• Ukraine War Underscores Urgent Need For Nuclear De-escalation
• Hawks Want To Exploit Ukraine Crisis For Even More Military Spending
• Say No to a ‘No-Fly Zone’ in Ukraine
• “Relatively Civilized, Relatively European”: Media Bias Infects Ukraine War Coverage
• Biden’s Unhinged Call For Regime Change In Russia
• Don’t Let Frackers Exploit The Ukraine War
• Russian Peace Activists Raise Their Voices
• Anger Towards Russians In US — A Reminder Of Post-9/11 Insanity
• From Moscow To Washington, The Barbarism And Hypocrisy Don’t Justify Each Other